Monday, August 02, 2010

Why I Don't Particularly Trust Police

Because some are assholes willing to pull crap like this. Seriously - watch the video.

I fear that some police officers (much like most politicians) are attracted to the job because of the power it gives them over others. The responsibility for making sure they can't successfully abuse that power lies on their supervisors, the courts, and ultimately, the citizenry. All three seem to have been asleep at the wheel for a while now...

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2010 3:38 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Disturbing video, no question.

I think this illustrates exactly why the Arizona immigration law makes me nervous. Illegal immigration is a bad thing, and states have a right to stop it if the federal government won't do anything about it (which it isn't).

What I worry about, though, is that giving law enforcement officials the power to check citizenship of anyone for any reason is the start of a slippery slope. What if you get officers like the one in the video enforcing an Arizona-type law? They could harass anyone about citizenship papers even if there isn't a good reason. I don't need to prove my citizenship to anyone unless there is probable cause that I'm doing something illegal, and the Arizona law is fuzzy about the whole probable cause thing.

 
At 8/03/2010 4:04 AM, Blogger Randomscrub said...

I believe the Arizona law was amended prior to being enacted to indicate that an officer was only authorized to check residence status during the course of a stop related to some other violation of law. Not that I expect they can't make one up if they want.

I find that law disturbing because the Maricopa County police (Phoenix area) have a track record of racist patterns of enforcing the law, so I doubt that this will be enforced in anything approaching a manner I would approve of.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home