Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Link Roundup for 8/11/2010

A list of interesting things that I need to clear out of my browser tabs:

1) Woman with whiteboard quits job in hilarious fashion.

2) Ridiculous, funny, and surprisingly apt: an analysis of US party politics through Starcraft.

3) I don't know if this describes American culture, but it certainly describes me.

4) Bad pun, but so funny.

5) Further proof that governments are filled with compulsive liars.

6) Add this to my list of reasons to never get an iPhone. Creepy!

7) I can't really figure out why this wasn't a more common reaction to the health inspectors shutting down a 7 year old's lemonade stand:
Are you gratified by the apology? Or are you wondering why, if it’s clearly bullshit to shake down a 7-year-old girl for $120, it’s somehow acceptable to shake down “a grown up selling burritos out of a cart” for $120?
8) This makes me very happy. I may not approve of the lifestyle, but awkward neighbors is part of the cost of living in an open society. Also, this is a great way to put that "building bridges" and "cultural understanding" into practice.

9) Further evidence that Congress is filled with idiots:
It appears that our friendly Senators were in such a rush to get this bill through that they forgot to name it. Jim Harper noticed this when the bill showed up as the oddly named The XXXXXXAct ofXXXX on his always excellent WashingtonWatch site. Apparently, the Library of Congress' Thomas reporting system converted the underscores into X's. And, yes, even The Congressional Record (pdf) notes that "This Act may be cited as the "_______Act of______".
In the words of Instapundit, "Forget reading the bills, now they're not even naming them.

10) Insight into why businesses aren't hiring - fears of increasing liabilities to the government's capricious taxation power play a large role:
A life in business is filled with uncertainties, but I can be quite sure that every time I hire someone my obligations to the government go up. From where I sit, the government's message is unmistakable: Creating a new job carries a punishing price.
11) Finally, flash opera in Philly:

1 Comments:

At 8/11/2010 8:32 AM, Blogger Matt said...

The one where the woman quit via whiteboard was great (even though it was staged). But, I think the bar has been raised recently for quitting a job—you have to top grabbing the PA, downing a beer, then going down the emergency slide.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home