Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ovation Inflation

I just went to see a touring production of Avenue Q here at Purdue, and I've been struck by something I've noticed out here in Indiana. Apparently the audiences here are willing to give even average performances a standing ovation. Tonight's show was good, but it certainly was not extraordinary. I've even seen the ovation given to below-average performances (e.g. the orchestral piece based on "Flags of Our Fathers" where the balance was so far off one couldn't hear the narrator half the time). I feel like if I ever see a performance that is truly amazing, I'll lack an appropriate way to express it, with the standing ovation having been so severely devalued. Grump.

Also, those dang kids need to get off my lawn. *brandishes cane menacingly*

2 Comments:

At 5/01/2010 8:18 PM, Blogger Daniel Jarratt said...

For an incredible performance, you can do what the Germans do: ten encore appearances for applause. There is a shocking amount of clapping for professional performers, often ten minutes of ovations (standing or not).

 
At 5/05/2010 10:46 AM, Anonymous TJIC said...

Yeah, I recall reading rants about this in National Review 15 years ago.

I've attended many concerts where I sat through a standing ovation. So, they came out and did their set. That's what they're getting paid for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home