Friday, June 26, 2009

Book Rave: Little Brother

I recommend you drop what you are doing and go get your hands on Cory Doctorow's recent book Little Brother. He allows you to download it for free here in a plethora of formats, or you can order the paper copy at Amazon. I'll wait. Got it? Good. I just finished reading it metaphorical cover to metaphorical cover (it was on my Kindle) in one go this afternoon. This is the first book to make me do that since Scalzi's The Android's Dream two years ago.

Imagine somebody read 1984, then imagined how a similar police state could be instituted in America on a local scale following a terrorist attack. Mix in a little near-future hacker culture, some generic geekery, and a moderate dose of pro-civil-liberties sermonizing (well, I did say it was in the same subgenre as 1984) and you have the most compelling read I've had in the last couple years. Go get it now. I'd be buying a copy and donating it to the local library, but they already have a few.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home