Saturday, December 25, 2004

My last Christmas rant - I hope

Merry Christmas to all of my (most likely imaginary) readers!

Today was great; gifts with the family, watching Flash give Kobe what for, celebrating our Savior's birth, and relaxing around a fire with the Grandparents. This is what Christmas is all about. Only problem is, most people seem to think it's illegal to admit that the "savior" part is believed or celebrated my the majority of America. In persuance of a humorous lampooning of this situation, allow me to quote parts of James Lileks' recent column in the Strib:

I don't get it. There's this peculiar fear of Christmas that seems to get stronger every year, as if it's the season that dare not speak its name. Check out the U.S. Postal Service Web site: two different stamps for Kwanzaa. One for Eid, two for Hanukkah. Two for non-sectarian "Holiday," with pictures of Santa, reindeer, ornaments, that sort of thing. One for the Chinese New Year. One for those religiously inclined -- it features a Madonna and Child. But the Web site calls it "Holiday Traditional." The word "Christmas" doesn't appear on the site's description of the stamps. Eid, yes. Hanukkah, yes. Kwanzaa, yes. Christmas? No. It's Holiday Traditional.

Am I offended that they name the other holidays by name? Of course not -- no more than I'd be offended if a practitioner of those creeds wished me a happy whatever. This is America. Come one, come all.

This isn't about shoving Christmas down the maws of the unwilling -- it's simply about admitting that the vast majority are celebrating, well, CHRISTMAS, and there's nothing injurious to the public sphere in celebrating that fact. At this rate we will have to rename July 4th The Holiday of Perceiving Nocturnal Airborne Explosives, lest we offend the few who regard the American Experiment as a grievous stain on human history.

Yes, "Merry Christmas" means different things to different people. To those disinclined to follow the creed it represents, it speaks to the cultural traditions of America; to those who take spiritual succor from the season, it means something else. Bottom line in either case: Be happy. And if you're about to throw down the paper and fire off an angry letter to the editor, stop: Think. I wish you a Merry Christmas. I really do. That's all there is to it.

Relax. Have yourself a Holiday Traditional. However you wish.

Okay, I admit there isn't much humor in this part, sorry. If you want his hilarious straw man of an impersonation of a Dayton's clerk, go read the whole thing. You won't be sorry. I just thought I'd better not quote all of it.

3 Comments:

At 12/25/2004 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right back at you, Schlu. Merry Christmas. At least you didn't try reading DEATH OF THE SOUL on Christmas Day. Admitedly, it wasn't one of my smarter moves...I like Dark Lord Huey a lot, but this reading particular reading is NOT A THING, at least in this particular contingent being's context.

Oh, and as for getting good at angry about solstice secularization...right back at you too...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1072-1413358,00.html

Talk to you in a few,
-Karl

 
At 12/29/2004 8:03 PM, Blogger Len Kutchma said...

I can't believe there are actually people out there insulted by Christmas. Can you imagine what would happen if someone like myself mused out loud that I don't like Ramadan for I find it insulting? Holy crap - I'd be arrested for hate crimes and be on the front page of all the dailies!

 
At 12/31/2004 9:59 PM, Blogger Len Kutchma said...

Happy New Year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home