Friday, October 08, 2004

Abortion "Rights"

Senator Kerry whipped out again last night the standard, and indeed effective, liberal defense of abortion "rights." The defense:

KERRY: I would say to that person exactly what I will say to you right now.
First of all, I cannot tell you how deeply I respect the belief about life and when it begins. I'm a Catholic, raised a Catholic. I was an altar boy. Religion has been a huge part of my life. It helped lead me through a war, leads me today.
But I can't take what is an article of faith for me and legislate it for someone who doesn't share that article of faith, whether they be agnostic, atheist, Jew, Protestant, whatever. I can't do that.


Now, do you believe that murder is wrong? I certainly do. Does that mean that we cannot legislate this for fear of abrogating someone else's sense of morality or cannibalistic religion? Most certainly not. That is because the United States of America is founded on the principle of individual rights. I have the right to do basically whatever I want, as long as by doing so I do not interfere with others' rights. As I have heard it put before, "My right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins." (If you can find out who said that I'd appreciate it.)

So, what does this have to do with abortion?

John F. Kerry is a Catholic. He has stated he believes that life begins at conception. If this is indeed the case, then the position that abortion should be legal is indefensible for him. If life begins at conception, abortion is the murder of an unborn child. By aborting a baby, one deprives it of it's fundamental right to life. This is not a case of "nuance." It is simply a case of denying the implications of one's own beliefs. To allow what you believe to be a form of murder (or at the least, manslaughter) to remain legal and unpunishable is morally reprehensible. I believe Senator Kerry needs to think long and hard about the logical (in)consistency of his position, and the moral consequences thereof.

This popular defense is merely a misdirection, turning a question about the death of unborn babies into one about religious beliefs. The root question is when life begins. Until Kerry flipflops on that one, his position is untenable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home